After reading Chapter 2 and reviewing the lecture power point (located in lectures tab), please answer the following questions. Each question must have at least 3 paragraphs and you must use at 3 least references included in your post.
Additionally, you are expected to reply to two other students and include a reference that justifies your post. Your reply must be at least 3 paragraphs.
1. There is a wide variety of perspectives and frameworks from which to practice nursing. After reading the various framework and theories presented, which most closely matches your beliefs? Please explain why?
2. After reading the Nurse of the future: Nursing core competencies on page 84, please describe how you plan to apply these 10 core competencies into your daily Nursing practice. Please be sure to address all 10 competencies and give specific examples.
Expert Solution Preview
As a medical professor tasked with creating assignments for medical college students, my aim is to facilitate the development of their knowledge and understanding in the field of nursing. By designing and conducting lectures, evaluating student performance, and providing feedback through examinations and assignments, I strive to equip students with the necessary skills and competencies to excel in their future nursing practice. In this particular assignment, students are expected to explore and reflect on their beliefs regarding nursing perspectives and frameworks, as well as their approach to incorporating nursing core competencies into their daily practice.
Answer – Question 1:
After reading the various frameworks and theories presented in Chapter 2, the nursing perspective that most closely aligns with my own beliefs is the humanistic nursing framework. This perspective emphasizes the importance of treating patients holistically, focusing not only on their physical health but also on their emotional, social, and spiritual well-being. Humanistic nursing acknowledges the uniqueness and individuality of each patient, understanding that their experiences and values shape their health outcomes. By adopting this perspective, nurses can foster a therapeutic relationship with their patients based on empathy, respect, and trust.
The humanistic nursing framework resonates with my beliefs because it places the patient at the center of care, prioritizing their autonomy and dignity. By recognizing the patient as a person with their own beliefs, values, and goals, nurses can collaborate with them in formulating personalized care plans that take into account their specific needs and preferences. Emphasizing humanistic principles in nursing practice can also contribute to improved patient satisfaction, as patients feel empowered and involved in their own healthcare decisions.
1. Watson, J. (2009). Watson’s human caring theory. The Permanente Journal, 13(1), 10-16.
2. Peplau, H. E. (1997). Peplau’s theory of interpersonal relations. Nursing science quarterly, 10(4), 162-167.
3. Parse, R. R. (2003). Parse’s theory of human becoming. Nursing science quarterly, 16(4), 311-315.
Answer – Question 2:
To apply the 10 core competencies identified in the “Nurse of the Future: Nursing Core Competencies” into my daily nursing practice, I will systematically address each competency and provide specific examples:
1. Patient-Centered Care: I will ensure that patients are actively involved in their care decisions and respect their choices and preferences. For instance, I will involve patients in care planning and seek their input in setting goals.
2. Teamwork and Collaboration: I will actively collaborate with interdisciplinary teams, including physicians, nurses, and other healthcare professionals, to provide comprehensive and coordinated care. This may involve participating in regular team meetings and sharing critical patient information.
3. Evidence-Based Practice: I will consistently seek out the latest evidence-based research to inform my nursing practice. For example, I will critically evaluate research studies on wound care and incorporate evidence-based interventions into my practice.
4. Quality Improvement: I will actively engage in continuous quality improvement initiatives to enhance patient outcomes. This may involve participating in quality improvement projects, such as reducing medication errors or improving hand hygiene compliance.
5. Safety: I will prioritize patient safety by adhering to established protocols and guidelines. For instance, I will ensure proper medication administration and verify patient identification before any procedure.
6. Informatics: I will utilize healthcare technology and information systems to improve patient care and documentation. This may involve accurately documenting patient information in electronic health records and using clinical decision support systems.
7. Professionalism: I will demonstrate professionalism by adhering to ethical and legal standards of practice. This includes maintaining patient confidentiality, advocating for patient rights, and engaging in lifelong learning.
8. Leadership: I will exhibit leadership skills by taking charge in situations that require coordination and guidance. This may involve delegating responsibilities to colleagues and providing mentorship to junior nurses.
9. Communication: I will prioritize effective communication with patients, their families, and healthcare team members. This includes active listening, providing clear instructions, and addressing concerns promptly.
10. Cultural Competency: I will respect and embrace the diversity of patients’ cultural backgrounds and beliefs. This may involve using interpreters when necessary and incorporating cultural practices into care plans.
Overall, by consciously incorporating these core competencies into my nursing practice, I aim to provide high-quality, patient-centered care while collaborating effectively with the healthcare team.
1. QSEN Institute. (2018). Nurse of the Future: Nursing Core Competencies©. Retrieved from